Whitley end weekend with road defeat

Richie Lawson

Richie Lawson. Photo by IceHockeyMedia

Warriors headed down to Solihull on Sunday evening a little short on bodies as the likes of DJ Good, Callum Watson, Ben Richards, Dan Pye, Josh Maddock and Ryan Sample were all unable to make the trip down to the Midlands. Warriors were still able to travel with 17 bodies including the netminding duo of Mark Turnbull and Richie Lawson.

Luke Brittle opened the scoring for Barons with 6 minutes on the clock, Whitley were not behind for long though as the in form Phil Edgar once again grabbed Warriors opening goal of the game just a minute later when he lit the lamp after being set up by d man Kyle Ross and winger Jordan Barnes.

Phil Edgar
Phil Edgar. Photo by IceHockeyMedia

There was no further scoring in the opening 2 periods of hockey as the 2 netminders on show Richie Lawson (Warriors) and Joshua Nicholls (Barons) were able to deal with everything that was thrown at them. However Whitley were dealt two blows as Phil Edgar picked up an injury and with 28 minutes of the game played influential blue liner Harry Harley was thrown out of the game for a slashing misdemeanour. This meant that Warriors were now without a great number of their senior playing squad however Whitley continued to give everything they had out on the ice.

Solihull started the 3rd session of play on the powerplay as referee Stephen Matthews had sent David Longstaff to the sin bin for a hooking infringement and Barons made the most of their man advantage when Phil Mulcahy grabbed a goal for his side with Tonas Janak and Josh Bruce picking up the assists.

Adam Brittle extended the Barons lead on 43 minutes when he netted an even handed marker and Adam’s brother Luke grabbed his 2nd goal of the game 6 minutes later to make it 4-1 in Solihull’s favour. Warriors continued to create chances and Shaun Kippin grabbed a goal back for Whitley with just over 5 minutes remaining in the contest.

Shaun Kippin
Shaun Kippin. Photo by IceHockeyMedia

Whitley took a late time out and pulled their netminder Richie Lawson in hope of finding a way back into the game however Solihull were able to get out of their own zone and grab an empty net goal through Andrew Whitehouse which saw them claim a 5-2 victory. Richie Lawson was selected as Warriors Man of the Match.

Whitley are on the road next weekend when they take on the Sheffield Steeldogs on Sunday in a game that faces off at 5.30pm at their Ice Sheffield home.