Tigers inflict narrow defeat on brave Warriors

Mark Turnbull denies Jonathan Weaver in a one on one

Mark Turnbull denies Jonathan Weaver in a one on one. Photo by IceHockeyMedia

Whitley Warriors took on the Telford Tigers on Sunday evening at Hillheads Ice Rink in Whitley Bay. Warriors were able to name a healthy roster of 20 players plus netminders Mark Turnbull and Jordan Boyle for the game against the title chasing Tigers. Telford arrived on North Tyneside with a squad packed full of quality as they were able to call upon the likes of import and skipper Jason Silverthorn, former GB international Jonathan Weaver and the experienced veteran Scott Mckenzie amongst others.

The first period of play saw both sides create scoring opportunities with Warriors generating 9 shots to Telford’s 11 however neither side was able to get on the scoresheet after 20 minutes of play thanks to some smart goaltending from Warriors Mark Turnbull and the visitors netminder Denis Bell.

Ben Richards
Ben Richards. Photo by IceHockeyMedia

Tigers opened the scoring on 26 minutes when the Warren Tait bagged a powerplay goal for Telford after Warriors Shaun Kippin had been sent to the penalty box for an interference infringement. The visitors doubled their lead just 3 minutes later when Rick Plant found the back of the net with Jason Silverthorn picking up the assist.

Warriors Canadian import forward Phil Edgar netted an unassisted marker on 31 minutes which ensured Whitley were firmly in the contest and the scores were level 30 seconds later when player/coach David Longstaff grabbed a powerplay goal for his side. Whitley went on a further powerplay 4 minutes later when Tigers Daniel Harrison was given 12 minutes in penalties by the officials on duty however Warriors were unable to utilise their man advantage on this occasion.

Jordan Barnes
Jordan Barnes. Photo by IceHockeyMedia

Telford had 2 powerplay opportunities of their own in the 3rd session of play however Warriors penalty killing unit were able to see off both powerplays without conceding against one of the slickest special teams in the division. Tigers were able to grab a crucial late goal on 58 minutes though when Warren Tait netted his 2nd goal of the game with Plant and Jones picking up the assists.

Whitley goaltender Mark Turnbull was named Warriors Man of the Match for a superb display that saw him record a save percentage of over 93% as he saved 44 of the 47 shots that came his way in the contest. Influential import Jason Silverthorn picked up the Man of the Match award for the away side.

Next weekend sees Warriors back in action on 2 occasions with an away game on Saturday in Sheffield against the Steeldogs before a Tyne Tees derby fixture on Sunday against the Billingham Stars on home ice.